1. Download the score to Elgar’s As Torrents in Summer.
2. Record the part you wish to sing during the symposium. There is no need to record more than one part.
3. In the key of your choice, record yourself singing the Star Spangled Banner, a cappella.
4. FOR SOPRANOS ONLY! Sopranos who wish to be considered should include additional footage of five-tone descending scales (sol-fa-mi-re-do), beginning on G-sharp (key of C-sharp major) above the staff for six repetitions downward (to A-flat major) on a vowel of your choice. Please do each repetition twice; once with full voice and vibrato, then again with minimal vibrato. You may alter the vowel as you wish.
NOTE: If you are accustomed to using your phone, iPad, or computer to make video clips, record yourself singing your part unaccompanied. You may stop and start to reset pitches as often as you wish. Don’t worry about editing the video. I am simply listening for the timbre of your voice, the acuity of your intonation, and your general sense of musical expression. It’s fine to keep the camera rolling and redo a section – this should not be labor intensive.
5. Post your video to YouTube/Vimeo, copy the URL and submit it online on the Submission page. Don’t forget to include your first and last name, and a valid email address when submitting your video. You should receive an immediate response from the website indicating that the submission was successful.
6. You will also receive a confirmation email from me when we have received your video and verified that it works! EARLY DECISION and SCHOLARSHIP deadline for submission is January 31, 2019. Final deadline for application to the program is March 1, 2019.
The audition process is similar to that for the choral scholars. Simply prepare a video 10 – 15 minutes in length, with the camera facing the conductor. You may use a combination of rehearsal and performance footage, but at least half of the video should be taken during rehearsal.
You can follow the guidelines for video submission as delineated in the tab for singers. PLEASE NOTE THAT CONDUCTORS NEED TO SUBMIT AUDITION VIDEOS FOR BOTH THE SINGING AND CONDUCTING PORTIONS OF THE SYMPOSIUM, as all conductors sing with the choir as well.
Submissions for conducting candidates must be received by midnight (ET) on March 1st, 2019
CONDUCTING AUDITION SUBMISSION DEADLINE: March 1st, 2019
If your conducting video is complete and already uploaded to YouTube, you can go ahead and submit the link here.